Friday, March 6, 2009

Give Me a Brake!

Both the Mercedes dealership and my local shop have been telling me that my rear brakes needed to be done. Well, I have been putting it off until the brake pad sensor tripped as I saw no need to do the brakes before they needed to be done. It turns out that the rears do need to be done, but the fronts are now metal to metal- no pad left- and are grinding horribly and now I only have parts for the rears. GRRRRRR!!!!

Why did TWO shops miss this? Because they didn't look. Pads sometimes wear unevenly (the iner pad wears before the outer) when the slides are stuck. The slides are stainless pins that the caliper "floats" on. See How Stuff Works for a rundown. If the slides stick, the piston side of the caliper does most of the work and that pad wears more. Both shops didn't bother to look at the inner brake pad. The just looked at the outer. The outer pads still have 1/8" of brake pad left

Stuck slides are a piece of cake to fix. You pull out the stainless pins and clean them with either Scotchbrite or a wire wheel. You then lube them with silicone grease and reinstall them in their rubber sleeves.

No comments: