Thursday, December 20, 2007

CDI Troubles

My CDI has issues. On cold start (anytime under 20F or so), it turns over for 5 seconds and then kills. After that it turn over for a second and kills. It will not start. To get it to start, I need to glow it 15-20 times in succession and then it starts very roughly. I dropped off the car with a discussion that they would put about an hour of diagnostics into the car. I received a call two days later that they had 8 hours of diagnostic time into the car and still had not figured out the problem. They thought it was a bad presure valve in the fuel rail ($800 part!).

I sent an email to the owner (a childhood and college friend of my dad's) about their business practices in the context of the previous glow plug issue and unapproved diagnostic work being performed. After this, I received a promise that I would not pay for anything that did not fix the car and that they would strive to be fair, but could not guarantee that the car would be repaired without cost to me. This was good enough for me. Two weeks and running. They are still trying to figure out the problem as the fuel rail did not fix the problem.

No comments: